This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Council tax support

Council tax support helps people who have no income or a low income to pay their council tax.

We can’t backdate council tax support, so it’s important to apply as soon as possible.

Continue reading

Please note that due to high volumes of traffic following the new Council tax bills you may experience slow response times

Am I eligible?

Entitlement to Council Tax Support is based on how much income, capital and savings your household has. Find out if you can claim Council Tax Support.

Council Tax Support eligibility

How to apply

If you are eligible for Council Tax Support you can make a claim online.  Find out how to make a claim and what evidence you need to send us.

Apply for Council Tax Support

Exceptional relief

You can apply for exceptional relief if you’re of working age, receive council tax support and are having exceptional difficulty paying your council tax.

Exceptional relief

Make an appeal

Find out what you can do if you do not understand or agree with our decision about your Council Tax Support claim. 

Appeal a decision


Find out what happens if your Council Tax Support has been overpaid and how to tell us about a change in your circumstances.


Help for students

Find out if you are entitled to Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit if you are a student.

Help for students