This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

How do I appeal your decision

Council Tax Support is a scheme run by local councils, not the government.

We make decisions about Council Tax Support which gives you help with Council Tax. 

Continue reading

Our decisions include things like:

  • Whether you can get any Council Tax Support
  • How much you can get
  • How we pay it
  • What happens if we pay too much 

We tell you our decision in a letter.

If you do not understand or agree with our decision, you can:

Ask us to explain the decision to you

Decision letters can sometimes be confusing and can cover different awards such as Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support and less often Council Tax Benefit.

You can ask us to explain the decision more fully. We call this a statement of reasons request.

To ask for this you can either:

  • Contact us online
  • Contact us by phone on 0300 1234 121
  • Write to us at The Benefit Assessment team, PO BOX 676, Threemilestone, Truro, TR1 9EQ, to ask us to explain our decision. We will reply to this request in writing and we aim to reply within 14 calendar days. You must sign the request yourself

Ask us to look at the decision again

If you want us to look at our decision again, we call this a reconsideration request.

You must ask us in writing if you want us to change our decision.

There is no time limit for you to ask us to change our decision, but we must reply to you within two months.

If we miss this deadline, you can then appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service.  See below for more information on appeals.

To ask us to do this you can:

  • Contact us online
  • Complete the form which is sent to you with our decision
  • Write to the Benefit Assessment team, PO Box 676, Threemilestone, Truro, TR1 9EQ

What do I need to include in my request?

Your form or letter should:

  • Make it clear which decision you mean.  Include the date of our decision letter and the claim reference.
  • Say clearly why you think we are wrong
  • Give any further information or evidence you think we haven't already got

Appeal against our decision

If we are unable to change the decision we will tell you.

You can then choose to appeal against the decision with the Valuation Tribunal. They are an independent body who are not linked to the Council. 

Please read more about appealing to the valuation tribunal for information on when you can appeal, and how to make an appeal.