This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Who counts as a partner and how they affect your benefits

By 'partner' we mean:

  • someone you're married to;
  • a civil partner;
  • someone you live with as if you are married to them; or
  • someone you live with as if you are civil partners.
Continue reading

A civil partnership is a formal arrangement that gives partners the same legal status as a married couple.

If you have a partner, you must claim as a couple. We count your partner's income and savings, as well as yours, when we work out your Council Tax Support or Housing Benefit.

If one member of a couple is claiming from us, the other member can't claim the same benefit for the same period of time.

Partners can choose which one of them claims.

You can check this by using our online confidential calculator.

This is not the same as making a claim; you will need to do this separately using the link below.

Make a claim online