This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Late appeals

You can appeal against any Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support decision.  However, there are different rules on whether an appeal is late depending on which benefit it relates to.

Housing Benefit

Continue reading

If a month has passed since our decision you can make a late request for us to look at it again.

We cannot always accept a late request. You must tell us why you didn't ask within a month.

The maximum time limit for making an appeal is usually 13 months from the date of the decision.  If your appeal is against a decision older than this the Valuation Tribunal must decide whether it can proceed.

How do I make a late request?

If you disagree with our decision you must write to us confirming the date of the decision you disagree with and fully explain why you don’t agree with it.  This can be done by contacting us online.

There is no time limit for asking us to change our decision.  You must contact us first and we must reply to you within two months. If we do not do this you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service.

You can find out more about appealing a Council Tax Support decision on our Council Tax Support appeal pages.