This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Can I claim Housing Benefit

If you need help paying your rent, you can claim Housing Benefit if you are of Pension Age. 

Since the introduction of Universal Credit, if you are of working age you can only claim in certain circumstances. You can claim Housing Benefit if you live in:

Continue reading
  • supported accommodation, or
  • temporary or emergency accommodation

In all other instances you need to make a claim for Universal Credit if you need help with housing costs.

The quickest and easiest way to check if you can get Housing Benefit is to use our online calculator below.

Online benefits calculator

You will need:

  • your details
  • details of anyone else who lives with you

Don’t worry if you don’t have all the information now.  You can save the form and come back to it later.

You can apply for Housing Benefit using the link below.

Apply for Housing Benefit online