This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

People from abroad

If you come to the United Kingdom you may be eligible for help with your rent and council tax.

How do I apply?

Continue reading

The benefit rules for people who have recently come to the United Kingdom are complex.  To find out if you may be eligible for housing benefit or council tax support, ring our benefits advice line on 0300 1234 121. 

If we think you may be able to get benefit, we’ll give you an appointment for an advisor to ring you back to complete the claim.  To make a claim by post, download and complete a claim form. 

We’ll need to see documents such as:

  • your passport
  • national identity card
  • residence permit
  • worker's registration card
  • registration certificate
  • accession work card

Both you and your partner need to have a national insurance number to claim benefit. If you or your partner do not have one, we can apply for one for you.