This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Giving Notice - legal preliminaries to getting married or forming a civil partnership in England and Wales

Before you can get married or form a civil partnership, you must each give formal notice of marriage / civil partnership in person at a Registration Office in the district where you live. You are required to have lived in the district for at least 7 full consecutive days and nights immediately before giving notice. Cornwall is one registration district with 12 *Registration Offices and you can give notice at any one of these 12 offices if your normal residence is in Cornwall.

* Please note due to current restrictions we are only able to offer appointments at the following offices, currently:

  • Helston
  • Camborne
  • Truro
  • St Austell
  • Liskeard
  • Bodmin (from 1 September)
  • Newquay (from 7 September)
  • Bude (from 14 September)
  • Penzance (from 14 September)

Falmouth, Launceston and Saltash remain closed.

Please note that customers are requested to wear a face covering when attending an appointment (unless exempted).

Continue reading

The waiting period between giving notice and when a ceremony can take place is currently twenty eight clear days*. The certificates for marriage will be issued on the twenty ninth day after giving notice and are valid for twelve months. These certificates will usually be kept by the Registration Office local to where you intend to marry, prior to the ceremony.

For couples where one or both parties are non-EEA nationals and subject to immigration control, your application to marry will be referred to the Home Office and they may extend the notice period to 70 days. Additional fees may apply at the point where the registration officer takes your legal notice. 

There are different rules if you want to get married or form a civil partnership in:

More detailed information can be found on the website:

Visit our Weddings in Cornwall page for more information on the ceremonies we offer.