This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Tell Us Once

When someone has died, we can help you tell the people who need to know.  To make things easier for you, when you register a death in Cornwall, you can also choose to let Cornwall Registration Service inform government departments and local council services through the Tell Us Once service.

How Tell Us Once can help you ?

Continue reading

There are organisations that need to be informed when you have a change in circumstances for example when someone has died.

With your permission, we will pass your information to the Department for Work and Pensions and they will tell other government departments and local council services. 

There is a short video clip available that explains a little more about this service.

In person – Ring 0300 1234 181, Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 6.00pm to make an appointment to register the death at any of our 12 registration offices. You will be given details about how Tell Us Once works and what you need to bring to the registration appointment.

Online - If you have already registered the death, you can access the Tell Us Once Service on the Department of Work and Pensions website. You will need the reference number given to you by the registrar.

By telephone – If you have already registered the death, you can access Tell Us Once by ringing the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 085 7308. You will need the reference number given to you by the registrar. The lines are open Monday to Friday between 8.00am and 8.00pm. This number is free to call from a BT landline, but other providers, including mobile phone providers, may charge you.

By textphone or minicom – If you are a textphone or minicom user, you can contact us using Text Relay by dialling 18001 before the number below you require.

To use Tell Us Once, when you attend your registration appointment please bring the following information about the person who has died:

  • Their National Insurance number and date of birth
  • Details of any benefits or services they were receiving e.g. state pension, blue badge etc
  • Their driving licence or driving licence number
  • Their passport or passport number and town/country of birth

We may also ask you for the contact details for:

  • Their next of kin
  • A surviving husband, wife or civil partner
  • The person dealing with their estate
  • Anyone who is receiving child benefit on their behalf

You must have the permission of the people listed above and you are not the next of kin if you are going to provide us with information about them.

If you choose to use Tell Us Once, it is possible to report the death to these services and government departments if applicable.

  • Cornwall Council
  • Housing benefit
  • Council tax support
  • Council tax 
  • Collection of payment for council services
  • Library services
  • Electoral services
  • Blue badges
  • Bus passes
  • Adult services
  • Children’s services
  • Council housing (if the deceased was a tenant)
  • Family Information Services
  • Department for Work and Pensions – including the Pension, Disability and Carers Service; Jobcentre Plus and the Overseas Health Team
  • HM Revenue and Customs – about child benefit; child tax credit and working tax credit; and personal taxation
  • Identity and Passport Service
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
  • Ministry of Defence, Service Personnel and Veterans Agency - the War Pensions Scheme

The information you give will be treated securely and confidentially. The organisations that are contacted will use the information to update records; to end services, benefits and credits as appropriate; and to resolve any outstanding issues. They may use this information in other ways, but only as the law allows.

This service is committed to protecting all the information provided to it.  Our privacy statement tells you how the information you provide when using this service will be used and protected. Ask the adviser if you wish to see the full privacy statement or you can look it up on the website 

Please remember that it is your responsibility to ensure that all organisations, that pay you a benefit/credit or provide a service to you, have correct and up to date information about you.

If you would like this information in another format please contact:

Cornwall Council, County Hall, Truro TR1 3AY

Telephone: 0300 1234 181