This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

If a Death Occurs Abroad

To arrange a funeral in England or Wales you will need:

  • an authenticated translation of a Death Certificate showing the cause of death and
  • a Certificate of No Liability to Register from the registrar in England and Wales. This certificate must be obtained from the registrar in whose area it is intended to bury or cremate the deceased.
Continue reading

To arrange a cremation, a cremation order from the Home Office or a form 'E 'from the coroner will be required. If the death was from natural causes, the Home Office will require the following documentation;

  • application for cremation (form A)
  • all original documentation from the country where death occurred
  • translation of documents if necessary

If the death was not natural it will be referred to the Cornwall Coroner who will open an inquest to investigate the cause and circumstances of death.

In this case the coroner will issue form E for cremation.

Some countries require a Cadaver Certificate before they will allow a body into the country for burial. The certificate, if issued, confirms that no epidemic of infectious disease occurred in the borough for some three months preceding the death.

This formality of obtaining the cadaver certificate is usually handled by the undertaker, making the arrangements on behalf of the relatives. However, anyone can apply. The funeral directors will also help with anything requested by the Coroner and with requirements of the authorities in the overseas country to which the deceased is going. Some of these requirements may apply for burial in another part of the United Kingdom.

The certificate is issued by the Environmental Health Officer for the Council in whose area the person died, or is to be exhumed from before reburial elsewhere.