This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

History of Penmount

Penmount has a long and interesting history. The land upon which it stands was a part of the Doomsday Manor of Moresk until the year 1337 when, with the foundation of the Duchy, two parcels of land were named Penhellick Vean and Penhellick Mur. The latter became the crematorium and the adjoining property has retained the name Penhellick to this day.

The mansion house was built in 1745 and its second owner, General William Macarmick, M.P., named the house 'Penmount' in the late 1700s. A number of highly placed dignitaries owned and occupied the property before it was acquired just after the 1914 - 18 war by Major J.S. Henderson. His son, Charles, who became a renowned Cornish historian, nurtured fond memories of his childhood days at Penmount and the main avenue into the Gardens of Remembrance is named Charles Henderson Walk in his memory.

Continue reading

The original 18th Century mansion was retained and adapted to its present use being dedicated by the Bishop of Truro on 21 November 1956. Faced with growing cremation numbers the need to add a second chapel and to extend the crematory became apparent in the 1970s and these extensions were completed and opened on 25 July 1978. It is now possible to allow two services to take place simultaneously, each chapel being sited at opposite ends of the main building. During 1997 the crematory equipment was updated to include the latest advances in technology and to meet all requirements of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. In 2008 two of the cremators were replaced with new machines, and in the summer of 2010 additional filtration equipment was installed as part of a national campaign by DEFRA to cut mercury and dioxin emissions.