This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.


Consent to conduct an exhibition, demonstration or performance of hypnotism under Hypnotism Act 1952

Licence Summary

Continue reading

Anyone giving an exhibition, demonstration or performance of Hypnotism on any person or in connection with entertainment to which the public are admitted whether by payment or otherwise is required to obtain authorisation from the Council by way of consent.

A separate application must be made by the person who will be carrying out the act of Hypnotism in relation to each premises/venue intended to be used.

Permission from the owner of the premises where the activity will take place is not required as part of the application process.

You can apply for consent to conduct an exhibition, demonstration or performance of hypnotism using the link below

Apply for a hypnotism permit

Applications should be submitted at least 28 days before the performance, otherwise the application may not be determined in time.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent does not apply to these applications in the interest of public safety.  This means you must wait until the application has been determined before any hypnotism activities can take place.

Please view the current licensing fees and charges to find out how much you will need to pay.

Once a completed application form is received and the information has been checked, the following agencies will be consulted: Police, Fire Authority, Health and Safety, Local Safeguarding Children’s Board and relevant ward members. 

If there are no objections to the application, it can be approved by an officer of the licensing service.  Any licence issued is subject to conditions.  If there is an objection or any concern about the application, it will be referred to the council's Miscellaneous Licensing Committee for a hearing of the application.

You must ensure that you are able to comply with Hypnotism licence conditions that shall be imposed on any consent given.

Redress for failed applications and licence holders

Please contact Licensing Services if you wish to discuss an application, decision or consent.

Public Register

We do not hold a public register, however please contact us should you wish to make an appointment with a Licensing Officer to discuss your requirements.

Consumer Complaints

If you have a problem with a hypnotism performance, we recommend you contact the performer/venue directly to try to resolve the dispute.  If this is not successful then licensing services may be able to help or have a look on the Citizens Advice website, or contact the UK European Consumer Centre if you live outside the UK.