This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Gambling premises licence

There are three types of licences issued under the Gambling Act:

Operating Licence

Continue reading

Required by individuals or companies who intend to provide facilities for gambling. This is granted by the Gambling Commission.

Required by directors/managers (Personal Management Licence) and by those performing operational functions e.g. croupiers (Personal Functional Licence). All personal licences are granted by the Gambling Commission.

Required for premises where gambling will take place. Premises licences are issued by the licensing authority, in this case Cornwall Council. For more information, follow the Premises Licences link below.

The Gambling Act regulates various types of gambling and gaming.  Further information can be found on the links below.

Please contact licensing services for more information.

Gambling premises are regulated by the Gambling Act 2005.  The Gambling Act came into force on 1 September 2007 and seeks to strengthen consumer protection in relation to gambling whilst reducing the burden of regulation. In doing so it replaces the provisions of three existing Acts of Parliament:

  • The Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Act 1963
  • The Gaming Act 1968
  • The Lotteries and Amusements Act 1976

The Gambling Act 2005 sets three licensing objectives:

  • Preventing gambling from being a source of crime or disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime;
  • Ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way, and
  • Protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling

The Gambling Act 2005 also set up a new regulator, the Gambling Commission, with powers to deal with gambling offences.

Remote gambling means gambling in which persons participate by the use of remote communication.  In order to operate a remote gambling operation, there must be in force a remote operating licence issued by the Gambling Commission - please visit the Gambling Commission website for more information.

The Gambling Act 2005 requires licensing authorities to produce a Statement of Principles.