We all need a little extra support at some point in our lives, so we offer helping hand services to make things a bit easier.
This page explains what might be helpful, but please bear in mind that everybody’s situation is different, so what’s available will vary from person to person. Check out our Helping Hand policy which sets out our goals to make sure that everyone can access our services easily
Many of our services are free or provided at cost price.
I’m finding it harder to cope at home
- Our Lifeline personal alarms can help to keep you safe at home.
- Adapting your home might make life easier - you may qualify for free support to sort out what you need.
- If you are a carer, Kernow Carers Service can help.
- Trading Standards volunteers can provide scam support visits and help you block unwanted calls.
- Our Buy with Confidence scheme can recommend local businesses.
- A free home fire safety check can give you peace of mind.
- Our assisted waste collection means you don’t have to carry your rubbish and recycling to the kerb (and we collect clinical waste too).
- Our Handyperson Service can help you with repairs without a big bill.
I am worried about money
- It’s worth checking with us if you are eligible for any benefits,
or money off your Council Tax
- Check our crisis awards if you face a sudden change
- You might be able to get help with food or school meals for free
- Need help with child care costs or school or college transport?
- Worried about heating? Check our Winter Wellbeing page
- For help with redundancy, work and skills visit the People Hub
- Help for businesses is at the Growth Hub
- Find support with childcare, parenting, money matters and more at Cornwall's Family Information Service
- We support victims of loan sharks
I sometimes need assistance due to my sight, hearing or speech
- We can provide bills and literature in braille, large print, audio or easyread. Find out more about alternative formats.
- Textphone / Relay UK can help you to phone us
- Advice, information and aids are available
- Fire safety advice and information
- British Sign Language video on fire safety and smoke alarms
I want to be healthier and happier
- Getting help with food
- Healthy Cornwall can help you quit smoking
- You can get support about drugs and alcohol through your doctor or Safer Cornwall
- If you face bereavement, mental health difficulties, domestic violence or abuse, we can signpost you to help.
- Find help if your home is cold or damp, or costs a lot to heat
- Improve your job prospects using the People Hub
- It's Together for Families for education, child health, adoption and fostering
Everything seems to be online these days I find it really daunting
I have limited mobility
There are services to help you get about more easily:
- Blue badge disabled parking permits
- Bus passes for seniors and disabled people
- Traveline South West – plan journeys by public transport.
- Our home library service can deliver your favourite books and audiobooks for free.
My dad is not very well and I don’t know how he will cope