This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.


As of 1 January 2021 the UK ended the transition period with the European Union (EU). Many things have now changed for Cornwall’s residents and businesses in terms of how they travel to and trade with the EU. New UK policies have or will replace many of those that were formerly decided by the EU and Cornwall Council is working to see the best outcome for Cornwall.

On this page you will find information to support businesses and Cornwall’s EU residents on what support they can access.

If you need help completing your EU Settlement Scheme application, we can support you with the ID verification part of the process with our EU Settlement Scheme ID scanning service. If you or someone you know needs more support, you can also contact Inclusion Cornwall or Citizens Advice Cornwall for guidance. Find out more detail below.

Photos of people happy after completing EU Settlement Scheme

Whatever happens, our European residents and their families will continue to be valued members of our community who we hope will continue to call Cornwall their home.

What is the EU Settlement Scheme?

If you’re a citizen of the European Union (EU), Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, you and your family will be able to apply to get either settled or pre-settled status. This will mean you can continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021.

You will not need to apply to the scheme if:

  • you’re an Irish citizen
  • you have indefinite leave to remain in the UK
  • you have indefinite leave to enter the UK

Your family members from outside the UK and Ireland will still need to apply even if you do not need to.

The scheme is free to apply to, and the ID checker app is available on both Android and iPhone devices.

When do I need to apply?

The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021.

The rights and status of EU citizens and their family members residing in Cornwall before the UK left the EU will remain the same until June 2021 - including those who have yet to apply for, or receive, a settlement status.

How do I apply?

Full guidance on how to apply is available on Government's EU Settlement Scheme page. The leaflets and video below also provide a simple overview. Guidance is also available in a wide range of languages.

How do I use the ID document checker app?

To complete your application, you will need to prove your identity. You can use the ID document checker mobile phone app to do this, using an Android or an Apple device.

You can read guidance on how to use the ID checker app, or view the video below for instructions.

If you cannot use the app, Cornwall Council can help. We can scan your documents so that you don't have to send them in the post. Find out more about our ID scanning service.

How can I get support to apply?

There are four ways you can get support with your application:

1. We have partnered with Inclusion Cornwall to help you apply. They can also refer you to specialist support organisations if your application is more complex. You can contact them on 01872 326440, or by emailing

Get support making an application from Inclusion Cornwall


2. Citizens Advice Cornwall have an EU Settlement Scheme support team. You can access the service via:

3. You may be able to complete the application digitally using an Android or iPhone device. But if you cannot, we can help you scan your documents so that you don't have to send them in the post. Find out more about our ID Scanning Service.

Find out more about our ID scanning service

4. There is also a national call centre available should you need it.  As well as support for those who need digital skills support.

What are my rights now the UK has left the EU?

Regardless of whether you have obtained or applied for a settlement status, you will continue to have a right to stay and access public services after 31 January until 30 June 2021 - including access to public funds, social housing and homelessness support, benefits and pensions, and free NHS care.

There will also be no changes to your right to rent or right to work, nor any changes to how you may need to prove that right – meaning that you are not required to prove your status under the EU Settlement Scheme until 2021. This means that you can continue to use the same documents that you use now to prove your rights.

Safe and welcoming communities

We know that Cornwall will continue to be a warm and welcoming place to our European friends, family and colleagues who have made Cornwall their home. But we must also recognise that some people may use EU exit as an excuse for discriminatory behaviour.

In part this is about ensuring that the continued rights and status of our European citizens are understood. But in addition, we all need to say NO to hate crime if it occurs. We must work to encourage the reporting of hate crime, and to ensure that victims and their families are supported.  It is important that if you experience, see or know about hate crime in your community, you should report it.

Devon and Cornwall Police have a range of useful information and materials, including a leaflet for the zero tolerance campaign

Leaving the EU means most UK businesses will see change to how they operate. There are now new arrangements and changes in law for trading with EU and non-EU countries.

Government's checker tool provides the best starting point for thinking about what you may need to do. You could also use the Chamber of Commerce Brexit Business Checklist.

Alternatively, you might consider finding information on the following issues: 

Priority actions

There are 9 immediate actions you can take:

  1. Register for a UK Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number
  2. Decide if you want to hire an agent to make import and/or export declarations for you or if you want to make these declarations yourself (by buying software that interacts with HMRC’s systems, registering for the National Export System). Customs intermediaries and traders completing customs declarations can now apply for grants to support training and IT.
  3. Contact the organisation that moves your goods (for example, a haulage firm) to find out if you will need to supply additional information to them - and make sure drivers understand the documents they need at the border.
  4. Ensure you are aware of the new import procedures.
  5. Confirm if you need licences or certificates to bring your goods across the border.
  6. Be aware of changes to the way you account for VAT on imports.
  7. Check for updates on tariffs that apply to your goods, and consider using duty relief schemes
  8. Ensure you're prepared to allow any personal data flows from Europe to continue after EU exit.
  9. Signpost your European employees to the EU Settlement Scheme.

It is also recommended that you discuss preparations with customers and suppliers - including responsibilities and Incoterms - and that you tell your employees about changes to passport rules.

Getting support in Cornwall: