This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.



What do you need help with?


Housing benefit helps people on low incomes pay their rent. It’s not available for mortgage repayments.Council tax support helps people on low incomes pay their council tax. There are different rules for claiming housing benefit and council tax support. You may be able to claim one or both.

View our benefits information

If you receive housing benefit or council tax support, you must tell us immediately if you or the people living with you have any changes in circumstances.Some changes may mean you are entitled to more benefits, but others could mean you no longer qualify for benefits or should receive a lower amount. Always report any change in circumstances as soon as it happens.

Please see our change of circumstance information and online form

Once you have registered, our Self Service pages give you instant access to manage and view your benefits. You can also use Self Service to manage your Business Rates and Council Tax account. Using Self Service can save you time, effort and money. There is no need for you to visit us, ring us or write to us – you can view and manage your benefits account on line at a time that suits you:

View your claim details

  • Complete and submit a new benefit claim
  • See how your benefits are worked out
  • See when your next housing benefit payments are due
  • View benefit letters and sign up to receive future letters electronically

Manage your benefit claim online

You can use our online calculator to check whether you’re entitled to housing benefit or council tax support. Universal Credit has started to replace Housing Benefit for working age people in Cornwall. Please check whether you are eligible to receive Universal Credit or Housing Benefit.

View our benefits calculator

Universal Credit is a new benefit for people of working age who are on a low income or out of work. It is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and replaces:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support
Find out more about Universal Credit

Sometimes housing benefit or council tax support may be overpaid. This usually happens because:

  • You didn't tell us about changes in your circumstances straight away.
  • It takes us a little while to process a change in your circumstances.
  • We make a mistake or another team or organisation gave us wrong information.
  • If we’ve paid you too much housing benefit, we will usually ask you to pay back the amount we’ve overpaid. For overpayments of council tax support, we will add the amount of the overpayment to your council tax bill. Our council tax team will collect the overpayment by increasing your monthly payments.

You can find out more on our Council tax support overpayments and Housing benefit overpayment pages.

If you need to provide additional information or evidence regarding your Benefits claim, please do so by completing the form linked below.

Please use our online form for instructions about how to send us your documents

If your query is still not answered you can try looking at our benefits information or use the options below.