This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Council Tax

What do you need help with?

Please note that due to high volumes of traffic following the new Council tax bills you may experience slow response times


You can use the form below to tell us if you’re new to Cornwall, if you are paying Council Tax for the first time, if you are moving or if you are leaving home.

Please note if you do not know your reference number you can still inform us of a change of address. Please click on the 'I am moving into the Cornwall Council area and would like to register for Council Tax at my new address' option after clicking on the link below.

You could also register for self service to manage your Council tax account online. This would enable you to track your change and view details of your account 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Please use our online form to tell us about a change of address

In some cases you may be entitled to money off your council tax bill, or you may not have to pay council tax at all (called an exemption). This can include:

  • Students
  • Single Adults
  • Empty homes
  • Youth Training trainees
  • Apprentices
  • Carers
  • Disability or severe mental disability
  • Patients permanently resident in a home Carers
  • Persons in detention
  • Visiting Forces
  • Diplomats
  • Religious communities.
If you think you qualify please use our discount application form

You can setup a direct debit or amend a current one

Please view our payment information

You can find out more about Council tax bands by viewing our Council Tax band information pages.

Please view our council tax banding information

If you're on a low income you may be entitled to support to help you pay your Council Tax. We'll need to look at your income, savings and household circumstances to find out if you're eligible. Housing benefit helps people on low incomes pay their rent, it’s not available for mortgage repayments. Council tax support helps people on low incomes pay their council tax.

There are different rules for claiming housing benefit and council tax support.

You may be able to claim one or both Find out more about claiming housing benefit and council tax support

If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax and would like to agree a more manageable payment arrangement, you can contact the Revenues section on 0300 1234 171 please do this as soon as possible to discuss your personal circumstances. The longer you leave contacting us the bigger your arrears will become and the harder it will be to make a suitable payment arrangement to clear the debt.

We realise that our customers may have difficulty in paying their bills and require support from us or an advice agency. If you are having trouble managing your money or are struggling with debt, you should get help as soon as possible. You can get free, confidential and impartial advice by visiting Citizens Advice Bureau who have money advisers who are available to discuss debt issues.

You can find more debt advice in our trading standards section.

If you’re having problems paying your bill, please get in touch to see if we can help you – don’t wait for a reminder notice or court summons.

Please see our information about what to do if you are unable to pay

Our Council Tax Self Service system is a great way to keep on top of your council tax account.

You can use Council Tax Self Service to:

  • Set up a Direct Debit or make a payment
  • Tell us about a change of address
  • Get notifications of new bills by email (e-billing)
  • See when your payments are due
  • Check your Council Tax account
  • See how your charges are worked out
  • Check if you can get any money off your bill

Please follow this link for more information about Registering for Council tax self-service and e-billing

If you are already registered you can print off a statement by;

  • Login to the dashboard and select “My Services”
  • Select Council Tax and then “Show Details”
  • Select “Correspondence”
  • Use the dropdown menu towards the bottom left hand corner to select “All issued”
  • Click view to see the details of each web bill.

You should now be able to see your bill as a PDF document, and be able to print it in the usual way.

You can create an online account before you receive your bill, but because you need a council tax reference to view your account details, you will need to wait until you have your paper bill before you can link your self service account to your council tax details.  You can still report that you’ve moved into the area, make a payment, or apply to pay by direct debit using your online account in the meantime.

Please follow this link for more information about Registering for Council tax self-service and e-billing

If you need to provide additional information or evidence regarding your Council Tax account, please do so by completing the form linked below.

Please use our online form for instructions about how to send us your documents

If you are a landlord or a letting agent and a tenant has moved in or out, or something has changed, please let us know using our landlords and agents form.