This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Cornwall residents urged to report open holiday homes over Easter break

Cornwall Council is urging residents to contact them over the bank holiday weekend to report any holiday homes in use to make ensure the authority’s enforcement teams can deal with any situations appropriately.

In the case of suspected unnecessary travel, second homes or individuals causing issues, people should contact the police, who can investigate such incidents.

Councillor Rob Nolan, Portfolio Holder for Environment and Public Protection, said: “The public can be reassured that we have had a very proactive stance to enforcement, so they shouldn’t feel the need to take a response into their own hands.

“If it is a business you have concerns about operating in these times, please report it to the council via the email address and we will deal with it. Please be aware that may also mean after investigation that we find out that accommodation may be being used legitimately for NHS staff or other key workers. What we have found is that the vast majority of cases reported to us are not breaking the law, it is only a small percentage that we need to deal with.

“We are aware that some members of the public are concerned about compliance of social distancing measures. We ask that if you have a concern regarding an individual, or groups actions you should contact the police as they are the only organisation which can enforce against this. You should report it through to the Police by calling 101 or email and 999 in an emergency.

“We strongly discourage anyone from approaching another person to confront them about social distancing, or business regarding them being open, it not only puts yourself at risk but also others. Circumstances are individual and we therefore must be circumspect and compassionate at this difficult time.”

Please see our how to report a concern page