This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Money off council tax for single adults

If you live on your own, or if all the people in your household are under 18, you get 25% off your council tax bill. This applies to your main home only.

It's called a 'single person's discount'.

Continue reading

If you only have one address, this address is your main home for council tax.

If you spend time at more than one address, we have to decide which address is your main home.

To work out if you're entitled to a discount, we need to look into your circumstances at each address, including where you and your family live most of the time.

You cannot usually get a single person discount on more than one home.

If you are no longer the only person aged 18 or over living at the property, you must cancel your single person discount