This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Data Protection

General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018

Please note: Due to the Covid-19 Coronavirus pandemic, there may be delays in processing requests made under the GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018. However, we will handle all requests as quickly as possible and keep you informed on how your request is progressing.

Continue reading
Cornwall Council complies with the Data Protection Act  to make sure we handle your personal information in a fair way. You can ask us for a copy of the information we hold about you, and ask us to correct or destroy  information about you.
You can find more information about data protection laws on the Information Commissioner's Office website.
You can find more information about how the Council handles your information in the Data Protection Policy.


The Council must provide individuals with access to information about themselves on request. We will usually only give personal information to the person who the information is about, to do this we must verify their identity.  You can request information about
someone else in the following circumstances:
  • if you have parental responsibility you can ask for information about a child under 13, but there may be reasons that we can't give it to you
  • a solicitor can request information on behalf of a client with their client's written consent
  • If you have explicit written consent from the person who the information is about

  • If you are registered as having Lasting Power of Attorney or you have been made a Deputy by the Court of Protection for the person the information is about

You will receive:

  • copies of information you are allowed to see
  • a description of the information disclosed to you
  • a description of how and why your information is being processed, who has access to it and / or an explanation of any codes used in the documents you have received

Please note you cannot request pre-adoption records through this process.  For further information please see our Adoption Birth Records page.

If you think the information we hold about you is inaccurate or incomplete, you need to tell us why and provide evidence to support this.  You can also ask us to delete or stop processing your data, but we can only do this if we do not have a statutory authority (legal basis) for doing so, for example, we cannot stop processing your information for things such as Council Tax.

  1. Please complete the form below so that we receive all the information we need to start your request:

Submit a request to Access, Rectify or Erase personal information

Use this form for all requests to access information we hold about you, including footage from our CCTV cameras on the highway and from town centres, as well as data from our Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras. Please note we keep CCTV footage for a maximum of 3 months.

Please noteTown councils own the CCTV camera systems in towns in Cornwall and Cornwall Council only monitors some of these. If the town you are enquiring about is not listed on the Town Centre CCTV page we will not be able to provide the information as we will not have access to it. If this is the case, we will tell you which council to contact, please see our Town and Parish Councils webpage for their contact details
More information about data collected via our ANPR cameras is available on our Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) Privacy Notice page.
  1. Send your form, together with the relevant proofs of identity (and vehicle ownership if applicable) as required to us following the instructions on the form.
  1. We will check the documentation and validity of your request and contact you if we need any further information or evidence. We will return any original documents by First Class Signed For delivery. We will then start your request and complete it within 30 calendar days.
  2. If you are dissatisfied with the information provided to you or how we have handled your request, you can ask us to review it within 3 months of the date your request was completed.  We will then carry out a review and provide you with a response within 20 working days.
  3. If you are unhappy with our handling of your request or the outcome of any review, you can request an assessment of your case by the Information Commissioner's Office.