This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Register to vote

You must be on the electoral register (also known as the electoral roll) to be able to vote at an election. 

Individual electoral registration requires each person to be responsible for their own registration. 

Continue reading
To be on the register, you must register to vote either online or by completing a paper form. 
The online application takes 5 minutes to complete. You will need your National Insurance number.

Register to vote online

If you need a paper form, please phone us.

Please note: When an election is due, the deadline to apply to register is 12 working days before polling day.

Once you are registered there are different ways to vote

Details of who can and who can't register to vote are on the Electoral Commission website.

We publish the electoral register every year (usually in December) in two versions:

We also update the register on the first working day each month from January to September and before an election.

There are deadlines each month by which you must apply. These deadlines are on the full electoral register page. 

If your application is approved, you will be registered on the first working day of the next month (from January to September).

At an election, other deadlines apply. The deadlines will be in the Notice of Election on our current and forthcoming elections/referendums page at the start of an election. 

You can view the registers at our office.

To tell us that someone has moved out of your address, please click below:

Remove previous resident from the register

(Please note: We will usually check records before we delete anyone from the register. It is a criminal offence to supply false information.)

If you are concerned about your name appearing on the electoral register, you may be eligible for anonymous registration. 

Please read more on anonymous registration or contact us on on 0300 123 1115.

A member of HM Forces can now choose whether to register as a service voter or as a civilian (ordinary elector).

More voting information for service personnel.

If you are a British citizen living or working overseas, you can register to vote at certain elections in the United Kingdom.

You can still register to vote even if you do not have a fixed address. 

If you have no permanent address, you can register where you spend most of your time or have some connection. This could be your previous permanent address, a shelter or similar place.

To register, you need to fill in a form called a Declaration of local connection or ITR for person with no fixed address.

More information is available at the Electoral Commission website.

The council tax register and the electoral register are two separate registers. They are completely different and operate under different laws or regulations.

The council tax register may show the names of the owners and not necessarily the residents of the properties. The electoral registration officer is not permitted to take names from the council tax register and put them on the electoral register and vice versa.

The electoral register is also used for other limited legally specified activities, such as:

  • detecting crime (like fraud)
  • calling people for jury service
  • checking credit applications