This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Frequently Asked Questions - Admissions 2021

Please note that when our lines are busy it may take some time to get through to one of our advisers.  You may find it easier to see if your question is answered below or to email us:

What if my child has an Education, Health and Care Plan?

Parents/carers with a child who has an Education Health and Care Plan do not need to complete an application for a school place. Instead, they need to speak to the Statutory SEN Service to discuss the transition to school:

What if I am moving to/from Cornwall?

Do you currently live outside Cornwall and want to apply for a school place within the County? If so, your application must be made via your home local authority. However, if you have a confirmed address in Cornwall you can apply direct to Cornwall Council. Your address should be evidenced by either:

  • a signed rental agreement
  • completed proof of purchase 

Do you live in Cornwall and wish to apply for a school in another county? If so, your application must be made via Cornwall Council. This is unless you have evidence of an address as stated above.

Where can I find out more about how the admissions process works?

There is a wealth of information in the admissions booklets on the relevant application pages:

When/how will I find out which school my child has been allocated?

The deadlines for applications are:

  • 31 October 2020 for Secondary Transfer
  • 15 January 2021 for Reception and Junior Transfer

If you applied before these deadlines, you will find out your allocation as follows:

  • Transfer to Secondary School: 1 March 2021
  • Starting School (reception admissions): 16 April 2021
  • Transfer to Junior School: 16 April 2021

If you submit an application before the deadlines above, you will be sent an email on the date above. This will tell you which school you have been allocated. 

What if I have changed my mind?

If you have submitted your application but you have changed your mind you will need to let us know in writing - please use the Change of Preference Form.  If this is after the deadline please note that your changed preference(s) would be processed as a late application unless it is received before the exceptional deadline stated in the information booklet above (after which the allocation process will begin).  For all other changes please let us know in writing.

What about school uniform?

Cornwall Council does not provide a grant towards school uniforms.  Each school's Governing Board are responsible for their policy on school uniform. Therefore please contact your child's school to check if they offer assistance.

For information on reducing the cost of school uniform, please visit the Support in Cornwall website.

What about school transport?

Please go to the School Transport web pages for information.

For any queries about transport please contact the Transport Coordination Service. Email or phone 0300 1234 222.