This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Changing schools during the school year ('in-year')

Please note that we are currently dealing with a high volume of applications.  Applications can take up to 20 school days to process or longer in peak periods.  

Cornwall Council is responsible for coordinating in-year admissions.  This is for the majority of state-funded schools in Cornwall and includes academies.

An ‘in-year application' is made to change schools or join a school during the school year. For example, not at the normal points of entry:

  • starting in reception
  • transferring from infant school to junior school
  • transferring from primary school to secondary school

Before you apply, please read the Changing Schools In-year: GuidanceThis accompanies the application form.

When can I apply?

You can only apply up to eight school weeks ahead of the place being required (twelve weeks for service families). Applications received outside these timescales will not be processed.  You will need to complete a new application form at the appropriate time.   

If you are applying for an in-year admission for September 2021 the earliest you can apply is 24 May 2021.  For Service Families it is 26 April 2021.  Please do not apply before this date as we will not be able to process your application. 

What if we have not moved to Cornwall yet?

If you are planning to move to Cornwall you can apply for a school place even if you only have a proposed or temporary address.

You can apply up to eight school weeks of a place being required (twelve for Service Families).

We may need to ask for confirmation of an address if:

  • the admission authority requires evidence of the new address to decide on priority for a place; or
  • it is required as part of the school’s admission arrangements; or
  • it is necessary for Cornwall Council to determine the nearest school with a place available; or
  • it is necessary for the admission authority to add the child to a waiting list where one is held.

The evidence we ask for would be in the form of:

  • written confirmation of a house purchase; or
  • a formal tenancy agreement.

The home address should be the place where the child is normally resident or will be normally resident.

How long will it take?

As far as possible, we will try to process applications within twenty school days. At busy times of the year, in particular in the summer term, your application may take longer to process. The twenty school days does not include the school holidays. Parents/carers should consider this and submit an application as early as possible. This can be up to eight school weeks in advance (twelve in the case of Service Families).


If you are thinking of requesting a change of school for your child because of concerns about their: 
- attendance or
- behaviour or
- bullying
you may find it helpful to talk to the Education Welfare Service before submitting an application to change schools. They can be contacted on 01872 323400.

Changing schools is a significant step.  It is often difficult to avoid because of a house move. There are also situations when a parent/carer might decide that they are not happy with their child’s current school.  You have to make the difficult decision about whether to apply for a change. We strongly recommend that you first talk to someone at your child’s current school about your reason/s for considering a change. It might be that any issues could be addressed without having to change schools.

If you decide to apply for a change of school, you may also wish to consider:


  • Your entitlement to home to school transport might change depending on where you are applying.
  • This might happen even if you are not changing your address.

Information on transport can be found on the Home to School Transport pages.

Implications for secondary-age students:

  • Your child might not able to continue studying the same subjects/option choices.
  • Their existing coursework might not be applicable to a different examining body.

How to apply

For the majority of schools in Cornwall you can apply online to change or join schools in-year using the link below. 

The application process is different if:

  • your child has an Education Health and Care Plan 
  • you would like to apply for a place at Camborne Science and International Academy 

Find out more below.

Please note:

This form is to apply for schools in Cornwall only. To find out how to apply for schools in another local authority, please contact that local authority direct.

Please note:  Parent Portal will be unavailable at the following times:

Friday 26 March 5.30pm until Monday 29 March 8am
Tuesday 30 March - 8am until 7pm

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Changing Schools In-year Application Form - Parent Portal

What to do if your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan

If your child has been issued with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan) you do not need to complete an application form.  A school place will be identified through a separate process. Please contact the Statutory SEN Service for more information:

Tel: 01872 324242      

How to apply for a place at Camborne Science and International Academy

This school does not participate in our In-year Co-ordinated Admissions Scheme.  In this case you will need to apply direct to the school.  Please contact the school or visit their website for information on how to apply.

Tel: 01209 712280 
Website: Camborne Science and International Academy

Changed your mind?

If you have submitted an in-year application and a place has not been allocated yet, you can complete the 'Changing your preference/s' form to:

  • Change your preference/s
  • Add a preference/s (if you have not already listed three) or
  • Change the order of your preferences

Admission arrangements

Please see the Admission Arrangements 2020-21 page for information on how places will be allocated.

Please see the Co-ordinated In-year Admissions Scheme 2020/21 for how in-year applications will be handled.

Privacy Notice

Please visit the Privacy Notice page for information on how your data will be handled.