This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Vision Support Team

What is a Visual Impairment?

Continue reading

There are a wide range of visual impairments from severe sight impairment (blind) to sight impairment (partially sighted). 

A visual impairment...

  • is diagnosed by an Ophthalmologist
  • will affect each individual differently
  • can affect near vision, distance vision or visual fields
  • can range from severe sight impairment (SSI) to sight impairment (SI). 

As the implications of vision loss are different for everyone, a wide range of strategies may be needed to enable our young people to have equal access to the educational and broader curriculum.

Information about specific visual impairments can be found on the Scottish Sensory Centre website and on the RNIB - Eye Conditions website.

A specialist team comprising of:

  • Qualified Teachers of the Visually Impaired (QTVI)
  • Specialist Visually Assistive Technology Teacher
  • Habilitation Specialist
  • Children and young people (0-25 years) with a diagnosed visual impairment
  • their families
  • settings, schools (mainstream and specialist) and colleges
  • other professionals 
  • giving support and advice to families and settings/schools  following diagnosis
  • providing specialist teaching for some learners (for example, Braille and Assistive Technology)
  • providing habilitation training for identified learners
  • carrying out functional visual assessments followed  by written reports and advice
  • providing advice about specialist adaptations to learning materials and the environment
  • providing advice about specialist equipment
  • training staff who work with settings (all training is advertised through School Messenger and can be found on the SEND training directory. Please note: login to School Messenger required.)
  • providing statutory advice for EHCPs and EHCP reviews
  • supporting transition between phases and stages of education

Read our returning to settings factsheet following Coronavirus

Schools and settings can make a referral using a 'Request for Involvement' form and providing parent/carer consent, found on the SEND Forms and Guidance page. The eligibility criteria for each service is listed on each of these forms.

Please note: both of the forms below must be completed at the same time.

Complete an SEN Support Services Request for Involvement Form and Parental Consent Form   

Before any action can be taken, medical information is gained.

Medical information is used alongside a functional visual assessment (where relevant) and a standardised set of criteria to determine the level of support given using the National Sensory Impairment Partnership (NATSIP).

For compliments, comments and complaints view the information online.