This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Year 11 Pupil Information

Planning education after Year 11

Now you are in Year 11 you should be thinking about what you are going to do next year. 

Continue reading

What happens now I’m in Year 11? 

  • We help everyone with an education, health and care (EHC) plan to find a school or college place for next year
  • Up to now your family has been asked where they want you to go
  • Now you’re in Year 11, you need to tell us what you would like to do and where you want to do it
  • You need to tell us even if you want to stay at the same school you go to now

How do you tell us what you want to do? 

  • We will send you a letter and a form in December. It is called a preference form. You will need to fill in the preference form and send it to the Statutory SEN Service at the address given on your letter, or you can take a photo and send it by email to us at .  You will need to return your form by Friday, 1 February 2019.
  • When we hear back from you we may need to check things with you or your family
  • Sometimes what somebody wants is not possible. If this happens we will talk to you.
  • You need to tell us:
    • What school or college you want to go to
    • What type of course you want to do
  • If you wish, you can ask your family to help you fill it in and send it back to us

What will I study?

  • Whatever you do next you have to do English and maths (or literacy and numeracy), unless you have a GCSE grade 4 or above or a Level 2 in Functional Skills by next September. This is the law
  • There are many different types of course and subjects you might do next:
    • General courses giving skills for life and a taste of different vocational areas
    • Vocational courses in a wide variety of subjects, for example, animal care, agricultural engineering, catering, business, construction, sports, and many more
    • A levels and GCSEs
    • Apprenticeships
    • Supported internships

Can I do any course?

  • The course you do may depend on your qualifications at the end of Year 11. Post-16 courses are offered at different levels. Sometimes you will hear about entry level, level 1, level 2 and level 3 courses. People at school, people where the courses are run, and careers advisors can help to explain this
  • What you do needs to fit with what your EHC plan says is important for you
  • You need to think carefully about what you will enjoy.

What if I don’t know exactly what I want to do?

  • Sometimes people tell us the type of thing they want to do. These are examples of what some young people have said:
    • I want to work outside
    • A levels
    • I want to work with computers
    • I enjoy working with cars
    • I am creative
  • These ideas will help the school or college you want to go to help you. After we have told a school or college you want to go there they may want to meet you. People will tell you about courses that match your interests, and what level course will suit you.

Who can help me to decide or if I feel stuck?

  • Teachers in school including the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO)
  • Your family
  • People you talk to when you visit sixth forms and colleges
  • You can find out more on the post 16 education pages 
  • Ask to see the careers adviser at school. Because you have an EHC plan a CSW adviser will be able to tell you:
    • what courses you can do, and
    • what schools or colleges you can go to
  • information about the CSW group can be found on the CSW Group website 
  • Look out for sixth form and college open days; go along with your family
  • Talk to different people who know you.

Can I go to any school or college?

  • If you have the qualifications needed for a course you can ask to do it wherever you want. We will then ask the school or college about you going there. This is called consulting
  • However, we can only help you with transport to get to school or college if you go to the nearest school or college offering the course you want to do. If you choose a school or college which is further away we cannot provide transport for you.

What happens about transport in Year 12 and Year 13?

  • The transport arrangements are different from what happens in Year 11
  • Families of all Year 12 and Year 13 students have to apply for transport each year and will have to make a contribution of £500 for the academic year 2019-2020
  • We can only provide transport if you go to the nearest school or college offering the course you want to do. If you live close to where you are going you may not qualify for help
  • You do not have to use the transport we arrange
  • We will publish our Post-16 transport policy for the 2019-2020 academic year by the 31 May 2019. You can see the current policy on the post 16 transport page
  • You can apply for transport from the beginning of June 2019
  • If you are still in education when you are older than Year 13 transport arrangements change again. We will explain more about that at the time.
  • You must apply by the end of July 2019 to make sure transport can be arranged in time for the start of the autumn term 2019 

How much time will I be busy each week?

  • Until you are 18 you have to be in education, training or employment with training, but by law this does not have to be for five days a week
  • You will have teaching on some days of your course but not all day, every day; this gives you time for private study, group study and projects, research, sports, volunteering, and work experience.

What is five day provision?

  • Some young people, because of their special needs, will need to have a full package of provision and support arranged across education, health and care that covers five days a week
  • Five-day packages of provision are not about having teaching all day every day. A young person may not go to the same place every day. They do not have to be at one provider and could involve amounts of time at different providers and in different settings. A package of provision can include things like:
    • volunteering or community participation
    • work experience
    • opportunities to develop skills for adulthood like independent travel training, and/or skills for living in semi-supported or independent accommodation
    • training to develop and maintain friendships and/or access facilities in the local community
  • This will be written into the young person’s EHC plan so that they have five days of provision across the week, if the young person and their family want this. The EHC plan will say what outcomes the five day provision will be working towards.

Independent Specialist Education Providers (ISPs)

  • Some young people require a higher level of support and provision. This may be available from an Independent Specialist Provider. This often gets shortened to ISP
  • If you or your family think you might want to go to an ISP, you will also need to look at local schools or colleges to see if they are able to meet your needs
  • If you still think an ISP would be the best place to meet your needs you will have to contact your SEN Casework Officer from Cornwall Council’s Statutory SEN Service
  • If you are going to an ISP now it is not automatic that you will go there next year
  • Our Special Educational Needs Panel will consider all the options open to you so we can decide whether your request for an ISP can be agreed.

If you have any questions please telephone the Statutory SEN service on 01872 324242.