This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Countryside - Access land

Under the Countryside and Rights of Way (CRoW) Act 2000 the public were given rights to walk freely over mapped access land without having to stay on public rights of way. The mapped access land comprises either open country, such as mountain, moor, heath or down, or registered common land.

The majority of this land is used for people's livelihoods so this should be respected and consideration should be taken at all times when accessing the land.

Continue reading

Further information is available in the Countryside Access and the New Right leaflet produced by Natural England and it is also vital that you follow the Countryside Code.

Please see Natural England Open Access land for further information including searching and viewing CROW Access Maps.

Open Access is shown on 1:25,000 Ordnance Survey Explorer Maps.