This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Enforcement Responsibilities

Health and Safety - Enforcement Responsibilities

Officers of the Council enforce health and safety law in certain workplaces in Cornwall. We share enforcement responsibility with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and have the same powers as HSE inspectors under the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, but each organisation is responsible for different types of premises as follows:-

Continue reading

Local Authority responsibilities

  • Warehouses storing goods for wholesale or retail distribution.
  • Tyre and exhaust fitting establishments.
  • Display and sale of goods at an exhibition.
  • Catering establishments, including cafes, restaurants etc.
  • Office activities
  • Consumer services in shops such as shoe repairers.
  • Hotels, guest houses, camp sites and caravan sites.
  • Health clubs and leisure activities; theatres, cinemas, night clubs etc.
  • Therapeutic treatment centres including massage parlours, solaria, aromatherapy etc.
  • Child care facilities such as nurseries and playgroups.
  • Undertakers.
  • Churches and religious meeting halls. 
  • Coin operated wet and dry cleaning establishments.
  • Animal accommodation including kennels, catteries, stables and zoos.

To contact the Council's health and safety team, please use the contact details below.

If you wish to see the principles that our officers adhere to when carrying out their enforcement responsibilities see our enforcement policy.

Health and Safety Executive responsibilities

  • Mines and quarries
  • Fairgrounds
  • Radio or Television broadcasting
  • Most construction work
  • Agricultural activities
  • Use of x-ray machines
  • Activities on board ship
  • Ski lifts, ski tows and cable cars
  • Maintenance, repair and installation of electricity and gas systems
  • Maggot, fish and game breeding
  • Local Authority activities and the police, fire and health services including hospitals

To report a workplace incident or accident, visit the RIDDOR webpage or telephone: 0345 300 9923

The local Health and Safety Office that covers the Cornwall area is;

Health and Safety Executive,
Ballard House
West Hoe Road

To raise a concern regarding health and safety in an HSE enforced premises visit the HSE website