This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Hazardous Substances Consents

This page gives details of when Hazardous Substance Consent is required, how to apply and how to access the public register of sites with a Hazardous Substance consent.

Hazardous Substance Consent is required when substances on a site are at, or in excess of the 'controlled quantity' as set out in the Planning (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 1992 as amended by the Planning (Control of Major-Accident Hazards) Regulations 1999.

Continue reading

What constitutes a Hazardous Substance and the procedures for application are set out within the same regulations.

Hazardous Substances Application Form and Certificates (new consent)

Applications can be made using the form above.  You must include:

  • a site map - this must be to a scale of not less than 1:10,000, must be based on an Ordnance Survey map and must include National Grid lines and reference numbers;
  • a substance location plan - this must be to a scale of not less than 1:2500 and must identify the area of the site to be used for storage, the location of any major items of plant to be used for storage and access points to and from the land;
  • a certificate to confirm that notice of the application has been given in a local newspaper and posted on the land (Form 3);
  • a certificate of ownership (Form 5); and
  • the appropriate fee.

We need four copies of the form, map and plan. The fee for an application is:

  • £400 if the maximum quantity proposed to be present exceeds twice the controlled quantity; or
  • £250 in other cases.

Applications for consent without complying with a condition of a previous consent or continuation of consent following a change of control are made using Form 2 in Schedule 2 of the Regulations. The fee in each case is £200.

The Regulations state that:

  • a notice must be published in a local newspaper in the period of 21 days before the application is made - the form of the notice is set out in the Regulations as Form 3 in Schedule 2; and
  • a similar notice displayed on the land for at least seven days during the same 21 days.

The certificate to confirm this is set out in the Regulations as Form 4.

There are four certificates - A, B, C and D. These are set out as Form 5 in Schedule 2. Where Certificate B, C or D applies, the Notice to be served on the owner is set out as Form 6 in the Regulations.

Where applications relating to the same site are made to us and another authority, the fee is paid to the authority in whose area the largest part of the site is situated.

Section 28 of the Act requires the Council to maintain a public register of sites at which hazardous substances are permitted to be located.