This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) Requests for Exemptions

The MEES standards came into force on 1 April 2018 and apply to private rented domestic (residential) and non-domestic properties. The purpose of the Regulations is to ensure that properties meet a minimum level of energy performance. This is currently set at a minimum Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of E.

The Government has acknowledged that in some limited cases not all properties will be able to comply fully with the requirements and has created a number of specific exemptions that landlords may apply for.  In order to apply for an exemption a landlord must demonstrate that they have undertaken all efforts to comply with the Regulations where possible and provide detailed evidence where full compliance cannot be achieved.

Continue reading

Cornwall Council has introduced discretionary service whereby domestic landlords can apply for the evidence required to request an exemption from the MEES.

Based on the information provided within the current EPC the Council will provide advice regarding the likelihood of obtaining planning permission or listed building consent for each of the suggested energy efficiency improvements.

This advice will be provided within 30 working days for designated domestic properties and 10 working days for all other domestic properties.

There is a charge for this service on a cost recovery basis. Charges can be found in the Planning and Sustainable Development Fees and Charges Document available on our Planning Fees webpage, along with methods of payment.

In order to request this service please complete the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) - Request for Exemption Evidence Form and return along with a copy of the current EPC and fee to the address shown on the form.

Please email any enquiries to or by phone 0300 1234 151.