This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Advertisements and signs

You may need to apply for advertisement consent to display an advertisement bigger than 0.3 square metres (or any size if illuminated) on the front of, or outside, your property.  This applies whether it is a house of a business premises.

Temporary advertisements or signs up to 0.6 square metres relating to local events may be displayed for short periods. There are different rules for estate agents' boards, but, in general, these should not be bigger than 0.5 square metres. 

Continue reading

The rules for larger, professional adverts and signs for businesses and so on is complex but all outdoor advertisements must comply with five 'standard conditions'.

They must:

  • be kept clean and tidy
  • be kept in a safe condition
  • have the permission of the owner of the site on which they are displayed(this includes the Highway Authority if the sign is to be placed on highway land)
  • not obscure, or hinder the interpretation of, official road, rail, waterway or aircraft signs, or otherwise make hazardous the use of these types of transport
  • be removed carefully where so required by the planning authority.

Apply for consent to display an advertisement

Alternatively you can download and complete a consent to display an advertisement application form

The Department for Communities and Local Government have produced Outdoor advertisements and signs: a guide for advertisers which may be useful if you need more information.

If you are unsure whether you need planning consent or not then you may wish to use our ‘Do I need Planning or Building Control consent?’ Service.

If the Council refuse consent for your advertisement, or require you to remove an existing advertisement, you do have a right to appeal.  You can find out more on our information on appeals webpage.