This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Do I need planning consent or building regulations?

With all building work, the owner of the property or land is responsible for meeting the relevant planning rules and building regulations.

Are you unsure about the differences between Planning Permission and Building Regulations Consent? If so, please check out the following guide which has been produced by Planning Portal:

Continue reading

What is the difference between Building Regulations and Planning Permission?

The following guidance can help you assess whether you need Planning Permission.

You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without applying for Planning Permission. This is called "permitted development"

The Planning Portal has an interactive guide. This provides guidance on whether the works you are proposing fall within “permitted development”:

You can also view the complete permitted development legislation online. This is the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015).

In some cases, some of the permitted development rights may have been removed by the issuing of an Article 4 direction. This will mean that a planning application will need to be submitted for works when it normally wouldn't be required.  For further information, please see our page on Article 4s

The Planning Portal website provides up-to-date information about work that can be carried out with and without planning permission.

This information is provided in an interactive guide: Do you need permission?

The Planning Portal also provides planning and building regulation guidance for many common building work projects for the home.

If after using the above links and guidance.  You feel that Planning Permission isn't required for your proposed works.  But would like confirmation of this through an informal response.  You may wish to use our  "Do I need planning consent or building regulations? " service.

With this service we will check whether you need :-

  • Planning Permission
  • Listed Building Consent
  • Demolition in a Conservation Area Consent
  • and/or Building Regulations

To use this service, please complete a Do I need planning consent or building regulations form.  We aim to respond within 10 working days.  The building regulations service is free.  But there is a fee to check whether you need planning consent.

If you need formal proof from us that planning isn't required.  And that the building work is lawful.  Then you can submit a lawful development certificates.   Please note there is a fee for this service.

If you need planning permission.  But would like some advice on whether your proposal would be supported.  Please use our  pre-application advice service before submitting your application to us.

For more information and guidance on how to start a new business, or how to expand an existing business.  Please see the Planning Portal.

The following links may also be of use:-

The Council works in partnership with the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Local Enterprise Partnership. 

The Council also works with business support agencies across Cornwall.  Ensuring that information, advice and guidance is available to help your business when you need it. You can visit our business support and advice page for further information.

If you are creating a new vehicle access or off-road parking space.  You may need to apply for Planning Permission, depending on the location and category of road.

When planning permission has been approved.  Or you have confirmation that planning is not required.  You will need to apply for a Vehicle Crossover Licence.  This will give you permission to cross the footway with a vehicle. There is a fee for the licence.