This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Householder guidance

Here you will find some useful links to websites and documents specifically for development to dwellings and flats (householder development).

Householder design guide for domestic alterations and extensions to existing dwellings

Continue reading

The Householder design guide is not intended to dictate or to stifle innovative and contemporary design. It is to be used as guidance outlining general principles and guidelines to follow and facilitate good design for householder developments. (Some illustrations by Richard Guise)

You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without applying for planning permission, this is called "permitted development"

The Planning Portal (an offsite link) provides an interactive tool giving you informal guidance on householder permitted development rights. The interactive guide offers information about common household projects and is being delivered in partnership with the local authority and the Government's Planning.

Alternatively a Do I need planning consent or building regulations form can be submitted requesting a check as to the need for planning permission, listed building or conservation area consent and/or building regulations.

Please view our summary of the charges for more information about this service.

With regard to planning, this will constitute an informal response as a definitive response can only be obtained through the submission of a lawful development certificate.

For detailed advice on what is required to submit a householder planning application, the Householder submissions guide will help applicants and agents to submit a householder application. Within this guide are details of which documents are required to accompany an application, when they are required and what each document is.

Please note that the submission of a planning application in accordance with this guidance does not guarantee that planning permission will be granted. Each application will be determined on its own merits and in accordance with local and national policies and guidance.

By adhering to this guide it is likely that an application will be registered with the minimum of delay, and can be passed to an officer for processing.

Please use these validation documents and checklists when submitting a householder planning or tree application:

We also provide an optional validation checking service to help speed you through the registration process, subject to a fee.

The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended) fully protects all species of bat and all wild birds during their breeding season. Bats are also fully protected at EU level by the Habitats Directive 1992, which in the UK, is The Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations 2010. It is both the householder and their contractor’s responsibility to ensure they are not affecting either during their work. If there is any doubt about whether bats or breeding birds will be affected we would strongly recommend that advice is sought. 

Useful advice and information can be found at: