This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Chapel

Mediæval 1066 to 1540

The term ’chapel’ has many meanings, but is here taken to refer to a building or a room used specifically as a place of Christian worship during the mediæval period. A chapel may be a separate building, or part of a church or private residence.

Continue reading

Chapels can have specific functions, as oratories for instance or as a places devoted to special services. In the post-mediæval period the term came to indicate a place of worship for members of various dissenting Protestant churches, as Baptists or Methodists.

Examples to visit

Berry Tower

The town of Bodmin has played a central role in the development of Christianity in Cornwall, and tradition, legend and history combine to suggest that the area around the Berry Tower was an early focus of settlement.

Madron Chapel and Holy Well

Madron Chapel and Holy Well are located in a small marshy valley. Today the small stone chapel, minus its roof, has been restored and the benches which lined its interior survive as does the large altar stone, a massive slab of granite which has a small socket in it to receive a statue or portable altar.

Roche Rock Chapel

Built in the early fifteenth century and dedicated in 1409 to St Michael the chapel, built on the precipitous outcrop of Roche Rock, ingeniously incorporates the bedrock in its structure.

Trethevey Chapel

The present Trethevey chapel is a rebuilt structure on the original foundations of a chapel recorded in 1457 when John Gregory, Vicar of Tintagel, was granted a licence to celebrate Mass there.