This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Plain-an-Gwarry

Mediæval 1066 to 1540

A mediæval amphitheatre, usually circular in plan, used for the performance of miracle plays – religious dramas which lasted over a period of two or three days, and described biblical events or dramatised the lives of the saints.

Continue reading

Examples to visit

St Just

Situated in the centre of St Just to the west of the present parish church, the mediæval amphitheatre, playing place or plain-an-gwarry is a large circular enclosure retained by a 2 metre high dry stone wall, with two entrances cut into the north and south-east sides.

Perran Round

Perran Round, otherwise known as St. Piran's Round, consists of a large 3m high earthen bank enclosing a perfectly circular arena approximately 40m in diameter. The bank is surrounded by a deep ditch giving the site the appearance of a later prehistoric defended settlement or round.