This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Tree and Woodland Management


Cornwall Council is directly and indirectly responsible for the management of trees and woodlands in a number of ways.

Continue reading


As a major landowner the council is responsible for the safety and management of trees and woodlands on its land.

Highway authority

As the highway authority the council is responsible for the management of trees which are growing within the highway. It also has the powers under the Highway Act to require landowners to undertake works to trees that might interfere with the safe use of the highway. The council is responsible for a network of approximately 4500 miles of road and nearly 3000 miles of public rights of way and recreational trails. 

Planning authority

As the planning authority the council manages trees in Conservation Areas and trees covered by Tree Preservation Orders. For further information please see Trees and their protection.

Trees provide a wide range of benefits and have an increasing role in reducing the effects of climate change. It is important that the Council manages trees to maximise these benefits. However despite these benefits trees can cause problems through nuisance, damage and injury.

Report a problem with trees, hedges, verges and weeds

The Council is developing plans to manage its woodlands which are open to the public. They are also developing a risk based approach to managing tree safety.  Trees with the greatest risk of causing serious harm will receive the greatest attention and trees with a very low risk of causing harm may not receive any attention.

The Council will consider requests to undertake works to trees carefully against:

  • the risks posed by the tree
  • any inconvenience caused to neighbours/complainants
  • the wider benefits the tree has to society
  • available resources

The Council will not normally prune or remove trees where the issue is as a result of nature or a change of season for example:

  • Falling leaves
  • Sap exudation (honeydew)
  • Falling fruits, nuts
  • Bird droppings
  • Blossom
  • Reduction or increase moisture to gardens
  • Basal stem sucker growth
  • Germinating seeds from council owned trees
  • Blockages or obstructions from tree deposits and leaves
  • Presence of algae and/or build up of moss

The above are generally considered minor inconveniences.  However, each individual complaint will be assessed, and determined upon its own individual circumstances and available budgets.

Additionally the Council will not normally undertake any tree pruning works or remove trees which are causing general shading issues, loss of television signal or shading of solar pv/heat units.

NB. By law you can cut back overhanging vegetation to your legal boundary provided that you offer what you cut off back to the owner and the site is left in a safe condition (and subject to other legal restrictions such as Tree Preservation Orders, Conservation Areas or planning conditions etc).  If a tree is on a party boundary then you would be expected to manage the growth on your side of the boundary.