This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Extra Care Housing

Part of the Home Care and Housing strategies

The term extra care housing is used to describe developments that comprise self-contained homes with design features and support services available to enable self-care and independent living. The most important fact is that extra care housing is housing first. People who live there have their own self-contained homes. They have legal rights to occupy that are underpinned by housing law.

Continue reading

The aspirations of older people are changing. Many older people would prefer to stay living in their own home for as long as possible. There are, however, people who would like to move house and live in accommodation that is better located, more accessible and easier to maintain. One of the main issues has often been the lack of housing options for older people with sheltered housing or residential care often being the only choices available.

There is no single model of extra care housing and no nationally agreed standards or regulations as there are for residential care homes. Extra care can be more usefully thought of in terms of the key characteristics that make up a development:

  • Self-contained accommodation, incorporating design features to facilitate independence and safety
  • Personalised flexible care and support that is accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
  • Access to meals, communal facilities and social activities on site and/ or arranged in the community
  • Access to assistive technology, such as telecare and alarms, and adaptations and specialist equipment to meet health and social care needs

There are three elements to the cost:

  1. the cost of buying or renting your own home including utility bills
  2. the service charges associated with your home for maintenance and any communal facilities
  3. the cost of your personal care, lifestyle support and domestic support.

The amount you pay will vary depending on your individual situation and your income. You may have to pay for all of the costs, or you may be entitled to benefits to meet some or all of them.

You must be over 55 and a resident of Cornwall

You can find out more on the Support in Cornwall website.