This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Am I eligible for a blue badge?

You do not have to be a driver or a car owner to apply for or have a blue badge. You can use your badge in any vehicle you travel in. You must not allow someone else to use the badge on your behalf, you can only use it when you are in the vehicle.

You will only get a blue badge if you have a long lasting and substantial disability. During a journey it causes you to:

  • Be unable to walk;
  • Have considerable difficulty whilst walking, which may include very considerable psychological distress; or
  • Be at risk of serious harm when walking; or pose, when walking, a risk of serious harm to any other person

You will be eligible for a blue badge if you are over two years old and meet at least one of the following criteria. Further details about these conditions can be found on the GOV.UK website.

  • You get the Higher Rate of Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • You get a Personal Independence payment (PIP) because you can't  walk more than 50 meters. You will need a score of 8 points or more under the ‘moving around’ activity of the mobility component.
  • You get the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP).  You also have 10 points specifically for Descriptor E. This will be under the “planning and following journeys” activity. You cannot undertake any journey because it would cause you overwhelming psychological distress
  • You're registered Blind (severely sight impaired)
  • You get a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement
  • You have received a lump sum benefit within tariff levels 1-8 of the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme. You must have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability. This will cause you an inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking

You may also get a blue badge if you can show that you have a permanent and substantial disability. This means you are unable to walk, or have considerable difficulty with walking.

What if I have a blue badge from another area?

If you move to Cornwall from another area, you can continue to use your old badge until it expires. You can apply for a new badge from Cornwall Council when your old badge expires.  You should tell the council that issued your old badge about your change of address.