This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Services for people with sight or hearing loss

Services for Adults

We provide advice, information and aids for people who have serious difficulties with their sight or hearing and for their carers.  You can also find help available from other organisations on our Support in Cornwall website.

Continue reading

In some cases we, or health services, can help with providing services for people with sight or hearing loss.  If you want to see if you are eligible for help contact us to arrange a needs assessment.

What help is available?

The support we can offer includes:

  • Advice, information and signposting to other services
  • Needs assessments and carer’s assessments
  • Daily living equipment
  • Home adaptations
  • Personal budgets, depending on your level of need and financial circumstances

Adults with sight problems

If you have significant sight loss in both eyes that can’t be corrected with surgery or glasses, we can provide:

  • Training in independence skills to help with daily living, moving around and communicating.
  • Registration with the Council, following certification of your visual impairment.  This may entitle you to some concessions, such as help with NHS costs and public transport.  It can also help you with welfare benefits claims.

If your sight loss is less severe, we can give you advice about support available from other organisations.

Adults with hearing problems

If you have hearing problems, we can help with:

  • Learning to lip-read or learning sign language
  • Communication support, including interpreters or voice-to-text
  • Specialist equipment, such as visual doorbells and alarms
  • Telephone equipment, such as text phones or amplified handsets

Where else can I find support?

Hearing Loss Cornwall is a long established Cornish charity promoting inclusion and deaf awareness across Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly.

Hearing Loss Cornwall can provide information, advice, training and communication support, including British Sign Language interpretation services. 

What help is available for carers?

If you’re a carer, you have a right to a carer’s assessment.  This looks at the support you need to look after someone else.  You can have a carer’s assessment even if the person you look after doesn’t receive support from us.

Children and young people with sight problems

Our Vision Support Team is a specialist team comprising of:

  • Qualified Teachers of the Visually Impaired (QTVI)
  • Specialist Visually Assistive Technology Teacher
  • Habilitation Specialist

We work with children and young people (0-25 years) with a diagnosed visual impairment, together with their families, settings, schools (mainstream and specialist) and colleges, and other professionals .

Visit the Vision Support Team web pages. 

Children and young people with hearing problems

Our Hearing Support Team provides specialist support for infants, children and young people in Cornwall affected by significant hearing loss

The Hearing Support Team is one of our SEN Support Services; the team provides families, schools and settings with advice on the educational management of hearing loss where this impacts significantly on the child or young person’s education.

Visit the Hearing Support Team web pages.