This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Buying an affordable home

Cornwall Council checks the eligibility of purchasers who are looking to buy affordable housing in Cornwall. This includes Section 106 discounted sale, equity share and local needs housing. These properties are usually advertised with local estate agents and on the main online estate agency sites such as Rightmove and Zoopla.  For new build properties these will also be advertised with the developer in their sales office and their own websites.

If you are looking for a shared ownership home you will need to register with the local Help to Buy Agent.

Continue reading

Please note that ex Council Right to Buy (Section 157) properties have a separate process.

From 1st February 2021, the Council will be charging a Section 106 eligibility assessment fee.

Find out if you are eligible and what evidence you will need

If you are looking to buy an affordable home and need to take out a mortgage the Council will need evidence of a mortgage in principal before we can consider an application from you.  Lenders are currently requiring deposits of 10% - 15% of the purchase price.

We recommend you should also seek;

  • Legal advice
  • Advice from an independent financial advisor
  • Advice from your bank or mortgage provider
  • Advice agencies such as Citizens Advice
  • Government websites such as Own your Home

What schemes are on offer in Cornwall

There are a number of affordable homeownership options available in Cornwall: