This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

House in Multiple Occupation

The current Coronavirus situation will have an impact across our service. Please note; there may be a delay in dealing with enquiries and work during this period.

The definition of a licensable House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) has changed. From 1st October 2018 any property which has 5 or more persons (forming 2 or more households), where there is some sharing of amenities such as kitchens, WC or bathrooms requires a licence.

Continue reading

If you are a landlord or letting agent in Cornwall it is important that you understand if the property you let is a HMO and therefore subject to the Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation (in England) 2006 Regulations and whether it requires a licence.

If your property requires a licence follow the step by step guide on these pages to make your application.

You can also find out about the standards required for other types of private rented properties within the Cornwall Responsible Landlord Scheme and Housing Complaints.

The definition of a licensable HMO is changing from 1 October 2018. Find out about the changes to HMO Licensing  and whether it affects your property.

Take me there

Applying for a licence for your House in Multiple Occupancy (HMO) couldn't be easier. The following pages contain all the information you require in a simple step by step process.

Take me there

Find out about your landlord's legal duties and the regulations that apply to the management of HMO properties. Do you know your responsibilities as a tenant living in a HMO? 

Take me there

View the Register of Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) in Cornwall that are licenced with Cornwall Council. The register is in alphabetical order by Ward.

Take me there