This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards

The Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) Regulations 2015

The MEES regulations form part of the Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) (England and Wales) Regulations 2015 and are a requirement of the Energy Act 2011.

Continue reading

From 1st April 2008 properties that were sold or newly rented were required to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).  From 1st April 2018, it became unlawful to create a new tenancy with an EPC rating of F or G, unless an applicable exemption was registered on the PRS national exemptions register

Trading Standards are responsible for enforcing the requirement of an EPC.  Further advice can be sought directly from Trading Standards by ringing 0300 1234 212 or emailing

Landlords with properties that have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of F or G will be restricted from creating new (or renewing existing) tenancy agreements until such time that the energy efficiency of the property is improved to an E rating or better, unless an exemption is registered.

From 1 April 2020 all domestic private rental properties must be at a minimum of EPC band E, whether a new tenancy is being signed or not.

What should landlords and tenants do next?

In line with The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 and more recently 2012, and The Building Regulations 2010, landlords should ensure they have a valid EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) when marketing a property for rent. They must then ensure the EPC rating complies with the minimum energy efficiency rating of E if a new tenancy has been created since April 2018, or will meet this standard by 2020 for all existing tenancies, unless a valid exemption is, or can be, registered. Your Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA) will suggest recommended measures that can be undertaken to increase your energy performance rating.

Existing tenants should check the EPC rating of their rented property and if the property does not meet the minimum standard they should discuss this with their landlord, and seek the improvements required in line with the relevant tenancy dates.

If a tenant believes the property they rent is in breach of the regulations now they can contact the Private Sector Housing Department for further advice and assistance.

A full and complete guide explaining the Private Rental Sector Minimum Standards has been produced by The Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.