This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Does divorce affect pensions?

Following a divorce or dissolution of a civil partnership your ex spouse/civil partner may be entitled to part of your pension. If a pension sharing order is put in place, the pension will be retained by the Cornwall Pension Fund, until your ex spouse/civil partner reaches their normal pension age.

If you divorce, your ex spouse or ex civil partner will cease to be entitled to a widow's, widower's or civil partners pension. However children's pensions will not be affected by divorce or dissolution of a civil partnership.

Continue reading

If you have previously nominated your spouse or civil partner to receive a death grant, this nomination will remain on your pension record until you change it. We strongly suggest that after divorce you complete a new expression of wish for lump sum death benefits form.

Your solicitor will require a cash equivalent transfer value (CETV).  A CETV will provide specific information about your pension and the court will take this value into account in your settlement.

Requests for CETVs must be made in writing to the Cornwall Pension Fund using the contact details on this page. It is important that you state the reason you require a CETV is for divorce purposes and you should also specify the full address that you require the details to be sent to. You should allow up to 6 weeks for the CETV to be supplied.