This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Appealing a Penalty Charge Notice

How to make a parking appeal

You can challenge a parking ticket if you think it was issued in error.

Continue reading
  • do not pay if you want to make a challenge
  • make a challenge within 14 days of the date of issue
  • If you make a challenge within 14 days of the date of issue you will have another chance to pay at the 50% reduced rate if your challenge is rejected
  • You must make penalty charge notice enquiries and challenges in writing.

Our appeals process flowchart shows the three stages of an appeal. 

Our civil parking enforcement procedures explain when our staff issue penalty charge notices, how appeals are handled and more.

The first stage of an appeal is to make an informal challenge.

Online Penalty Charge appeal form

Or you can write an informal challenge explaining the circumstances. You should either email it to or post it to:

PO Box 664

Please Include;

  • your penalty charge notice number
  • any evidence to support your challenge, such as:
    • a valid pay and display ticket
    • a repair note for a broken down vehicle
    • a delivery note or a pre-paid receipt for loading

Please consider your reason carefully

None of these are valid reasons for cancelling a penalty charge notice;

  • 'I always park there and I have never had a ticket before'
  • 'I just had to pop into a shop or go to the cashpoint'
  • 'I was only a couple of minutes'

Once we receive your challenge, we’ll put your case on hold while we consider your case. We will respond to your informal challenge with our decision either

  • by e-mail if your informal challenge is made online or you provide an e-mail address or
  • by post if your informal challenge is made by post.

If your challenge is successful we will cancel the penalty charge notice.

If your challenge is unsuccessful we will advise you of the reasons why, and explain the options available to you.

If we reject your challenge, you’ll normally have another chance to pay at the 50% reduced rate. This is only if you made your challenge within 14 days of receiving the penalty charge notice.  You’ll need to pay within 14 days of the date on your letter of rejection. If you don't, you’ll have to pay the full amount.

If we reject your informal challenge or if you choose not to submit an informal challenge’, the registered keeper of the vehicle (as listed with the DVLA) can make a formal representation.  This is the second stage of an appeal. 

We have to wait 28 days before we send the registered keeper a notice to owner.  Once the registered keeper has received the notice to owner, they can use the form on the back to make a formal representation or submit the form online.

Online notice to owner form

The registered keeper can make a formal representation for any of the reasons shown on the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s grounds of appeal page. They can also give other reasons why the penalty charge notice should be cancelled.

We’ll write to the registered keeper with our decision.  If the formal representation is successful, we’ll cancel the penalty charge notice.

If we reject the formal representation, the registered keeper can either:

  • pay the full rate penalty charge
  • appeal to an independent adjudicator

This is the third stage of an appeal.  If we reject the formal representation, we’ll send you details of how to appeal with our decision.  You can also find out more about appealing to an independent adjudicator on the Traffic Penalties Tribunal website.

Parking Services Data Protection information