This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Manholes and drain covers

Manhole covers in the highway will either be the responsibility of the Council or of the appropriate utility company responsible for services such as gas, electric, telecommunications, water or sewerage etc.

Highway surface water drainage covers and drain (gully) gratings will usually be the responsibility of the council.

Continue reading

If you wish to report a defective manhole or drain cover, please use the link below. If the cover is the responsibility of a utility company then we will notify them accordingly and if necessary, make it safe temporarily.

Report a damaged manhole or drain cover

To report a dangerous defect e.g. missing cover, causing an immediate safety hazard, please telephone 0300 1234 222 (24 hour service) giving details of the location.

If fallen leaves are covering the gully grids and where you can safely remove them from the surface, then please do so.  Leaf debris can be disposed of, if necessary, with normal rubbish or added to your compost bin. Don’t lift the drain covers or put your hands into the drain as there may be sharp objects you cannot see. Wearing gloves is always a good idea if you are clearing leaves by hand.

If blocked drains are posing a risk to safety or affecting residents’ homes and you are unable clear them, please report them.