This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Placing a Skip on the Highway

When carrying out any building work, maintenance or removal of any part of a property, it may be necessary to hire a builder’s skip to remove the debris.

If you have space, you must place the skip within the boundary of your property. If you do not have available space, the skip company must apply for a licence to place the skip on the road. This is a requirement of the Highways Act 1980.

A skip application form needs to be submitted by the Skip Company as they hold the relevant insurances to place a skip on the highway. 

Once a completed application form has been received, a Street works Inspector will attend the site to check the suitability of the location.  The Street works Inspector may request certain conditions which the Skip company must adhere to. 

A standard skip application requires a minimum of 14 days notice (2 Weeks). In the case of an emergency the Skip company must submit an application to Street works prior to dropping off the skip. 

  • A standard skip application will cost £83 for 1 calendar month.
  • An emergency skip application will cost £119 for 1 calendar month.
  • Extension requests for 1 calendar month is £83 if submitted before the expiry of the previous licence period
  • Late extension requests for 1 calendar month - £119
  • Administration charge of £20 if an amendment to the licence is needed once it has been issued

Please note that our licence fees are subject to review every April and licences submitted after 1 April will be subject to any new fees.

Please submit the completed application form via post to Street works, Western Group Centre, Radnor Road, Scorrier, Redruth, TR165EH or via email to