This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Traffic Management for Events and Roadworks

Temporary Traffic Regulation Orders (TTROs), Temporary Traffic Regulation Notices (TTRNs) or Temporary Traffic lights may be required when it is necessary to temporarily control vehicular or pedestrian activities along a length of public highway.

The majority of Traffic management is to allow utilities, developers or the highway authority to carry out works, however, there may also be occasions when a member of the public will need traffic management to carry out private works.

Continue reading

The most common TTRO is a road closure, however, they can also be applied for if there is a need for a temporary speed limit, parking restriction or one way orders.

If you are working on behalf of a statutory undertaker you will need to issue an electronic notice via EToN then complete a TTRO Application form and submit it to the Streetworks department.

If you are a developer or member of the public who needs to apply for a TTRO/TTRN or require the use of traffic lights, a TTRO application or Traffic light application form will need to be completed. You will also require a licence to carry out the works. For example; you may need to close the road to install a new water pipe, in this instance you would also require a Section 50 licence as well as the TTRO. 

If you are unsure of what licence you may require please contact Streetworks on 0300 1234 222 or email us at

Download a TTRO application form or Temporary Traffic light application form

N.B Traffic management must be set up and controlled by suitably qualified personnel and Streetworks will need to be notified of this on the application form. It may be neccessary to contact a registered traffic management company to do this on your behalf. 

Type of TTRO Cost

TTRO full order giving 12 weeks notice


TTRO full order giving less than 12 weeks notice


Emergency TTRN for a 24 hour duration


TTRN 5 or 21 day 


TTRN followed by an order


TTRO Extension


Signing Schedule



The signing schedule is a plan of the closure, approved diversion route and which signs are required and where they are to be located. Streetworks do not hire or place signs it is up to the applicant to source the required equipment. 

Please note that additional charges may apply if you require a licence to carry out the works. 

Community events:

Event/ActivityRoad Closure
Small Event (Less than 5000 people)  £47
Large Event (more than 5000 people)  £107
Events of National Significance  No Charge


Commercial events:

Event/ActivityRoad Closure
Small Event (Less than 5000 people)  At cost*
Large Event (more than 5000 people)  At cost*


*Please contact Streetworks on 0300 1234 222 for details of charges for commercial events.

On occasions you may wish to close the road for an event. Events on the highway generally fall under one of the following types:

  • Street party (big lunch or other)
  • Running (marathon, part of triathlon, etc.)
  • Street market or fayre/fair
  • Carnival or parade (including dances and processions)

Find information on holding a street party and to obtain an application form. 

For all other events you will need to complete an Event Notification form. Please follow the links for information about organising an event and obtain an event notification form

A minimum of 12 weeks notice is required for the application.  If information remains missing or is found to be inadequate within 6 weeks of the closure date then the application will de declined.

The Council has organised a one day training course – “Traffic Management for Community Events”.  This is targeted at people who organise and put out traffic management e.g. signs, cones and road closed boards for events. 

For more information and to book a place on this course, please contact Chris Bowden at the Notter Bridge Training Centre.