This site is no longer maintained
This website should only be accessed for School Messenger, SIS or planning agents information.

Vehicle Crossings - dropped kerbs

If you wish to cross a footway or verge to park a vehicle on your property then you are required to create a vehicle crossing (dropped kerb) to do so. This is to ensure the protection of the footway, verge, cables and pipes below the surface. 

You are required to apply for a licence under the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 to either install a new dropped kerb access or alter an existing access. 

Vehicle crossings may require planning permission and you will be required to complete a ‘Do I need planning permission form’ and submit it to Cornwall Council’s planning department.  A form can be downloaded from the Do I need planning permission? page or alternatively you can contact them on 0300 1234 151. It is your responsibility to ensure that all planning permissions have been obtained before construction of the crossing.

You must nominate a company from our Accredited Contractors list to carry out this work.  The accredited contractors list is not a recommendation from Cornwall Council but merely a list of companies that we know hold the relevant qualifications and insurance. It is recommended that you obtain a minimum of three quotes.                       

If the vehicle crossing is to form part of a development it may require technical approval from our Estate Roads department prior to approval. If technical approval is required an additional charge will be incurred. 

Download a Vehicle Crossing Application form

Please complete all sections fully and request that your Accredited Contractor completes their section. Your contractor cannot sign on your behalf nor can you sign on behalf of your contractor.

A vehicle crossing application takes a minimum of six weeks to process.

The cost of a vehicle crossing licence

Standard vehicle crossing - £297

Vehicle crossings as part of a development - £451

Should you decide not to continue with the works once the licence has been issued a refund will not be given for the administration cost or the pre site survey 

Please note that our licence fees are subject to review every April and licences submitted after April 1st will be subject to any new fees.

Where to return your completed

Once you have a completed application form, you can either send a copy by post to Streetworks, Western Group Centre, Radnor Road, Scorrier, Redruth, TR165EH or it can be emailed to

Once we have received your application we will liaise with our Network Management team and request that our Streetworks Inspector carries out an onsite inspection to confirm the suitability of the location.  On some occasions we may need to involve our Estate Roads team as vehicle crossing as part of a development may also require Technical Approval. Should this be the case we will contact you and advise you who you will need to speak to. 

Once a response has been received the licence will be issued including any additional conditions, for example; you may be required to install drainage to ensure water does not run onto the highway.   

A letter and signed copy of the licence will be sent to the applicant and a copy forwarded to the nominated accredited contractor.

Should the request for a vehicle crossing be denied a letter will be sent to the applicant giving details of the reason why and a contact name and number to call if you wish to discuss the matter further.